Friday, August 26, 2011

A Trip to the New Vet

It was time for our yearly visit to the Vets. Chelsea would be examined by a new Vet at a new clinic. Our old Vet had retired.

These trips were dreaded by both owner and dog because of the high anxiety involved with this yearly visit.

Chelsea had come to the point that she needed pre-medicated before her yearly visit. I informed the new doctor (this time, a female Vet) about the pre-meds. She suggested seeing Chelsea first with out pre-meds.

Chelsea was accompanied by my son, daughter-in-law and me. Upon entering the bright building, she was weighed on a scale in the waiting room. We were then ushered into to an examination room. The doctor introduced herself. I noticed there were no examination table in the room. The doctor did her preliminary exam kneeling next to Chelsea. I noticed my dog was looking at me as if to say, "Is it ok, mom?"

The next phase of the visit was another examination room where she would be further checked for problems the doctor may have seen.

After about twenty minutes she was brought back into the examination room.
The doctor said, not once did they have to sedate her. The only reinforcement used was a muzzle

My family and I were pleased with the visit and Chelsea was under less stress. She was not sedated and we did not have to contend with a woozy, sleepy dog who would have to spend a few hours in her cage sleeping off the sedation.

No comments: