Thursday, October 6, 2011

First Frost




We had our first frost last night.

The rain has subsided and there is a crisp chill in the air.  You can smell fall.  The air is clean and cool.

The maple tree is still dropping leaves.  I think I'll wait before raking up the leaves in the driveway.

I'll be looking for the dark eyed junco birds to return soon. Each November flocks of them ascend on every tree in the woods behind my house. The sparrows have already assembled in the front yard, making their yearly home in the front bushes.

In another month I am going to have to move the bird feeders up closer to the house. The winter snow fall is usually quite deep. I will not be able to make the trip back to the woods to feed the birds.

Chelsea has been rolling on the grass in the back yard, enjoying herself, leaving her scent as a calling card to the orange cat that passes through everyday.

No comments: